CONTINUEThis site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more.
  1. Front Page
  2. News By Topic
  3. IHS Agrees Inversion To UK

IHS Agrees Inversion To UK

by Mike Godfrey, Tax-News.com, Washington

23 March 2016


The information services providers, Colorado-based IHS Inc. and London-based Markit Ltd, have agreed to merge, in what is widely being seen as another "tax inversion" transaction.

Under the terms of the proposed USD13bn transaction, the worldwide businesses of IHS and Markit will be combined with the name of IHS Markit. The new group will retain certain key operations based in Englewood, Colorado, but will be headquartered in London. Its tax domicile will be in the United Kingdom.

The transaction is expected to be completed in the second half of 2016. IHS shareholders are expected to own approximately 57 percent of the combined company, with current Markit shareholders owning the remaining 43 percent.

Tax inversion techniques are being used by some US multinationals to move their tax residences abroad – away from the high 35 percent US headline federal corporate tax rate.

The current UK headline corporation tax rate is 20 percent, but, as announced in the recent Budget, the tax will be reduced to 17 percent by 2020. In the first year of its operation, the new group has forecasted an adjusted effective tax rate at "low to mid 20 percent."

TAGS: tax | business | mergers and acquisitions (M&A) | corporation tax | United Kingdom | corporate headquarters | multinationals | transfer pricing | tax rates | United States | tax breaks | services | Tax

To see today's news, click here.

 















Tax-News Reviews

Cyprus Review

A review and forecast of Cyprus's international business, legal and investment climate.

Visit Cyprus Review »

Malta Review

A review and forecast of Malta's international business, legal and investment climate.

Visit Malta Review »

Jersey Review

A review and forecast of Jersey's international business, legal and investment climate.

Visit Jersey Review »

Budget Review

A review of the latest budget news and government financial statements from around the world.

Visit Budget Review »



Stay Updated

Please enter your email address to join the Tax-News.com mailing list. View previous newsletters.

By subscribing to our newsletter service, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.


To manage your mailing list preferences, please click here »