CONTINUEThis site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more.
  1. Front Page
  2. News By Topic
  3. HK Port Cargo Throughput Unchanged From Previous Year

HK Port Cargo Throughput Unchanged From Previous Year

by Mary Swire, Tax-News.com, Hong Kong

11 December 2007


Total port cargo throughput in the third quarter recorded virtually no change over a year earlier, at 61.7 million tonnes, the Census & Statistics Department announced this week.

Within this total, inward port cargo fell 1% to 34.9 million tonnes, while outward port cargo rose 1% to 26.7 million tonnes.

For the first nine months of this year, total port cargo throughput rose 2% over a year earlier, to 180.4 million tonnes. Inward port cargo dropped 1%, to 104.6 million tonnes, while outward port cargo grew 6%, to 75.8 million tonnes.

On a seasonally adjusted quarter-to-quarter comparison, total port cargo throughput dropped 3% in the third quarter. Within this total, inward port cargo slipped 4%, and outward port cargo fell 2%.

The port of Hong Kong handled 6.2 million containers in the third quarter, a rise of 2% over a year earlier. Both laden and empty containers rose 2% to 5.1 million and 1.1 million. Among laden containers, both inward and outward containers grew 2%, to 2.4 million and 2.7 million.

Ocean -vessel arrivals fell 9% over a year earlier, to 9,100, with the total capacity rising 8%, to 94.5 million net registered tonnes. River-vessel arrivals grew 1%, to 48,550, with the total capacity dropping 9%, to 25 million net registered tonnes.


To see today's news, click here.

 















Tax-News Reviews

Cyprus Review

A review and forecast of Cyprus's international business, legal and investment climate.

Visit Cyprus Review »

Malta Review

A review and forecast of Malta's international business, legal and investment climate.

Visit Malta Review »

Jersey Review

A review and forecast of Jersey's international business, legal and investment climate.

Visit Jersey Review »

Budget Review

A review of the latest budget news and government financial statements from around the world.

Visit Budget Review »



Stay Updated

Please enter your email address to join the Tax-News.com mailing list. View previous newsletters.

By subscribing to our newsletter service, you agree to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.


To manage your mailing list preferences, please click here »